Hello Bowliners and friends,
We are pleased to announce a 'provisional' date for this years Croft Hills Race which is Tuesday 17th May, 7:30pm. We will let you know when this is confirmed and you will be able to enter online via the website.
The BMC have sent us their 2016 clubs workshop programme which has some more courses recently added. These courses are subsidised by a grant the BMC receives from Sport England and are specifically designed to support members of BMC affiliated clubs. These courses really are excellent value and places will go quickly so to find out more about the courses and book your places visit the BMC website www.thebmc.co.uk/clubscourses.
Also the BMC are running their popular 'Training Novice Club Members Weekend' on Friday 13th - Sunday 15th May at Plas y Brenin in Snowdonia. Only £50 for the weekend (including full board accommodation and all instruction) the weekend is a great deal for club members who take novices in to the outdoors and want to develop their skills to provide the best training experience they can. Limited places are remaining, more details and booking via the BMC website www.thebmc.co.uk/training-novice-club-members.
Have a great week everyone!
Yes I'm back in the country again after a return visit to the lovely Tignes for yet more skiing. Whilst I had a great time with some good friends and fellow bowliners, I did miss out on the weekend trip to Portland. It sounds like despite some damp weather a good time was had, checkout the great article about the trip written by Adam.
Looking out of the window at the blue sky here I'm itching for the weather to improve a bit more so we can start heading outside again for climbing. We've got a great year of climbing meetings to enjoy and I can't wait to get out and climb some rock with you guys! However in the meantime we go have the clubs Annual General Meeting coming up on Wednesday 16th March. This is a great opportunity to get even more involved by joining the committee and helping to shape the future of our awesome club!
If you're heading to The Climbing Station tonight for our Tuesday bouldering then I hope you all have a great time. I'll be at The Tower for our Thursday climbing session this week so hopefully see lots of you there too.
Apologies for the lack of weekly emails recently, I've been in France enjoying ski-ing in Tignes followed by Climbing in the Cote d'Azur. And although I'm back now, I'm heading back to Tignes for another week of ski-ing this weekend so you'll probably not hear from me again until the end of the month. It's hard life, but someone's got to do it!
I'm pleased to report that we had a very successful 30th Charnwood Hills Race on Sunday just gone. Thanks to a lot of hard work by Bowliners and friends our 350 entrants got to enjoy racing through the Leicestershire countryside once again. Well done to all those that helped out and to those that entered as well!
Since I've been away it's great to hear that so many of you are signing up for our various meets this year. If you haven't already checked out what's on offer this year then you can find all the details on the website. I'm also pleased that we have lots of new prospective members coming along to our Tuesday bouldering and Thursday climbing sessions. Can't wait for the weather to improve so we can get all go climvbing outside!
Hope you all enjoy yourselves next week!
Welcome to the New Bowline Year! I hope you've all got our meets locked into your diaries as this year we've got a super line up for you to enjoy and I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible on these trips. Remember you can always find the full list of meets over on our website.
I'd like to take this opportunity to highlight our trip to the Picos de Europa in June. This has been kindly organised by Michelle Aukland and already we have 15 people who are interested in going with many already having booked their flights and accommodation. I'm super excited about this trip and it will be brilliant to have loads of us their to experience what I'm told is a real hidden gem of climbing/walking destinations.
Also for those of you who can't wait to get back out climbing on real rock you should check out our Portland weekend in February which is being run by Tony Bishopp (thanks Tony). Unfortunately I can't make this myself as I will be away ski-ing, but if I was around I'd definitely be going, so hopefully you can all go along and let me know how great it was!
Right I'll stop there as otherwise I'll be excitedly telling you all about the other great trips but I'll save that for another week. Don't forget we are back at The Climbing Station on Tuesday evenings for bouldering, and we're also at The Tower on Thursday evenings for climbing!
Have a great week!
... an awesome calendar of meets for 2016!
Yes that's right Bowliners, the gift you've all been waiting for has arrived. So grab your 2016 diary and get ready to enjoy a fantastic year with us!
- Weekend of 16th/17th January - Winter walking/scrambling in North Wales at our cozy club hut.
- Sunday 7th February - Charnwood Hills Race.
- Weekend of 13th/14th February - Sport climbing in Portland, Dorset.
- Wednesday 16th March (evening) - The Club AGM, 7:30pm at the Blackhorse Pub, Alyestone.
- Saturday 19th March - Peak district climbing.
- Sunday 20th March - Prusik knots and tricky situations training course for club members (Leicester).
- Easter weekend (25th-28th March) - Scottish winter walking/ice climbing.
- April 2nd - 9th - Fontainebleau bouldering trip.
- Weekend of 16th/17th April - Love the hut weekend.
- Tuesday 19th April (evening) - Spring bouldering competition at The Climbing Station.
- May bank holiday weekend (30th April - 2nd May) - Yorkshire climbing (Brimham Rocks).
- Weekend of 7th/8th May - Peak district climbing.
- Weekend of 21st/22nd May - Joint meet up with Barrow MC at The Roaches.
- Whitsun bank holiday weekend (28th - 30th May) - Lake District climbing.
- 11th - 19th June - Picos de Europa trip.
- Weekend of 25th/26th June - North Wales climbing at the Club hut.
- Weekend of 2nd/3rd July - Saunders Mountain Marathon.
- Weekend of 16th/17th July - Climbing + MTB and Summer Meal in the Forest of Dean.
- Weekend of 30th/31st July - BBQ at the club hut.
- August - Alpine trip, exact date TBC.
- Summer bank holiday weekend (27th-29th August) - Pembrokeshire sea cliff climbing.
- Weekend of 10th/11th September - Climbing in North Wales at the club hut.
- Weekend of 24th/25th September - Peak district climbing.
- Weekend of 8th/9th October - More climbing in North Wales at the club hut.
- Weekend of 22nd/23rd October - Mountain Biking meet in the Dalby Forest.
- Weekend of 29th/30th October - OMM Mountain Marathon.
- Weekend of 5th/6th November - Fireworks at the club hut.
- Saturday 19th November - Club annual dinner.
- Sunday 4th December - Chairmans walk.
- Wednesday 6th December - Club slideshow.
- Tuesday 13th December (evening) - Christmas bouldering competition at The Climbing Station.
So the force was strong with us today, so strong that it chased away all that pesky rain and made the weather in the Peak appealing enough for a spot of climbing. Who'd of thought that I'd be enjoying trad climbing in the sunshine at Gardom Edge on the 20th December. Did you all get out and enjoy the unseasonably good weather, I hope so!
This will be my last weekly email for this year and so I have only remind you that we have bouldering at The Climbing Station on Tuesday. I'll be there for once and if you want to join me for bouldering that would be super. But if I don't see you Tuesday then I hope you have a fantastic Christmas and New Year.
Watch your inboxes over the Christmas period as my present to you will be an awesome meets calendar full of trips to make you wish that 2016 would hurry up and arrive!
We had a good turn out for last nights Christmas Bouldering Competition, thanks to everyone that came along and enjoyed the evening with us. There was lots of frenetic activity in the climbing station and lots of fun had as our bouldering pairs raced to complete problems and grab points. Plus the added bonus of the time limited one handed bouldering challenge (thanks to Andy Richards).
The coveted bouldering competition trophy was retained by last years winner, Tony Bishopp, with an excellent score of 144. And with Anni Ahonen-Bishopp taking the 1st ladies place it will be celebrations all round in the Bishopp household. 2nd place overall went to Andy Richards with a strong score of 113. The full results list is as follows:
So I was planning to make this weeks email all about the Christmas Bouldering competition which I'm sure you're all attending. However we have a rather more pressing matter which is that we are urgent need of volunteers to come forward and help with the catering (teas, coffees, cakes, etc) for the Charnwood Hills Race. The Charnwood Hills Race is a major source of income for the club and is the main reason we are able to keep the membership fee's and hut fee's for members low. Lots of club members are already involved in various capacities and we'd welcome any assistance you can give!
If you can help out please let me know and I'll put you in touch with the race organisers.
Thanks. And if I don't see you before, Merry Christmas!
BCC Meets Secretary