A delibrately delayed email this week as I indundated you with invites on Monday so I though I'd save my next missive until now.
Firstly I want to say a big well done to Suzie Imber and Michelle Aukland who were winners in the Rab Mini Mountain Marathon in the lake district on Sunday. The dynamic duo are back in action on May Day Bank holiday for another Lakes district mountain marathon, good luck girls!
Secondly I hope everyone has received invites to our Tuesday night activities now that the long evenings are here. Look forward to seeing lots of you out Running and Cycling, please note that the running start time is 6:30pm (not 7pm as per my invite). Also watch out for invites to Thursday climbing as we will be outside (weather permitting) now the evenings are getting longer. This week it's Markfield Quarry at 6pm.
And last but certainly not least we are off to give our club hut some love this weekend. Lots of people have offered to come along and help which is super. Please make sure you have booked your hut place with Bob Crosby!
The main tasks for the weekend are to give the hut a really good deep clean and also to clear out the drainage ditches, cut back shrubs, cut the grass, and do some digging. There is also some rubbing down and painting to do on the rear windows. We have plenty of cleaning equipment at the hut however it would be great if you can bring gardening gloves, spades, secateurs, etc for the gardening. We plan to eat out on Saturday night at the nearby Gallt-y-Glyn (Pizza+Pint).
The weather is not perfect but there will be time to play as well so bring your climbing boots and gear (or walking boots/bicycles). As we are going to be working on the hut we're asking people to keep most of their kit in their cars and only bring sleeping stuff into the hut. Also it makes a lot of sense to share lifts to reduce car parking pressure!
Whatever you are doing have a great weekend!
Places are going fast for our Lakes Meet from 2nd-4th May. We have only 2 places left for staying at the camping barn. If you would like to book either (or both) of these places please check with me (Andy Potter, 07796 220055) before sending your payment.
BCC Meets Secretary
As you've probably already heard from those that went (or maybe you saw the great pics on our Facebook page) we had a fantastic time bouldering in Fountainebleau. A big thanks to everyone that came, we are already in the process of reserving accommodation for next years trip!
Whilst we are on the subject of bouldering make sure you head down to The Climbing Station tomorrow (Tuesday) evening for our Spring 'open' bouldering competition. It should be lots of fun whether you are a beginner or a seasoned pro. We will also be climbing at The Tower on Thursday evening (7pm onwards).
As the lighter evenings are now with us we will be moving to our summer schedule of evening meets starting from next week. Bouldering at The Climbing Station will continue on Tuesday as normal. There will be running in the Bradgate Park area (starting at 6:30pm), Road cycling from Anstey (starting at 7:00pm). For the climbing we will head outdoors on Thursday evenings, falling back to The Tower if the weather is no good. The climbing venue will be different each week and I will send you all an invite each Monday so you know where we will be!
Last but not least it's great to see people signing up for our Lake district meet on weekend of 2nd May. Still places available so get your payments in soon!
Have a great week!
So far 9 people have signed up for the Portland meet on the 5th and 6th of June. Currently, Anni and Tony Bishopp, Yvonne and Graham Alexander, Andy Potter, Pixie, Loz, Tony H and Adam are going.
At the moment there are still places available, although we are keen to finalize numbers with the bunkhouse owner. If anyone else would like to join and hasn't signed up would they let Tony Bishopp (firstname.lastname@example.org) know before the 17th April.
The redpointing workshop is now full. Tony will contact the people who signed up individually as it would be useful for him to see them climb beforehand so he can tailor the workshop to the right level.
BCC Meets Secretary
Question: What do Verdon, Greenland and Pecos have in common?
Answer: They are all things I have something to tell you about...
- Verdon - An awesome gorge in the South of France. Frequented by Loz and Tony for climbing adventures. Read all about it here!
- Greenland - The beautiful wilderness where the inteprid Zoe Proctor enjoyed her latest Ski Touring experience. Checkout Zoe's blog article here.
- Pecos - Where out hut secretary Bob Crosby is going from Tuesday 14th April, until Friday 24th. Anyone wanting to stay in the hut can contact Bob during this time by Text on 07934 475926. He will have the hut diary with him all the time.
Just a quick apology to everyone who has entered the Charnwood Hills race. I don't intend to keep sending you invites to Bowline Climbing Club events (although new members are of course always very welcome to come along). A case of selecting the wrong option when publishing invites, hopefully it won't happen again!
BCC Meets Secretary
A delibrately delayed email this week as I will be in Fountainbleau over Easter so you won't hear from me again until around 11th April. Fingers crossed for good weather for everyone heading out over Easter for adventures. As you have probably guessed from the invites I've been sending out we are getting busier on the meets front now and organisation for the summer meets is in full swing. You should recently have received invites to the Spring open bouldering competition, Love the hut weekend, Lake district (Borrowdale), and Pembrokeshire sea cliff climbing (St Petrocs). Hopefully you can all make these, and don't forget the full meets list is always on the website, and the upcoming meets (usually next two months worth) are at the bottom of this email.
Before I disappear off to France there are a few things I'd like to share with you all:
- Thanks to everyone who came to the Mountain Biking meet at the weekend. A special thank you to the club members for making our non-club guests feel very welcome, and to Claudia for organising all the catering. We had a great time on and off the trail. Definitely the most popular trail was the 'Launchpad' and we can share this with you thanks to Lisa and Toms GoPro fitted to my handlebars, as I follow Jo Tucker (one of our guests) down the trail, check it out here on YouTube.
- For all the cyclists there are cycle rides on Sat 9th May, all in aid of Macmillan. 100km & 60km road rides, 30km Off road and 5km family ride, all starting and finishing at The Langton Brewery. Full details can be found at http://macmillanharborough.org.uk/
- We have some availablility at our fantastic club hut over the summer. At only £5 per night for club members this is a fantastic way to enjoy the wonderful Snowdonia national park.
- And finally can I remind everyone that when you make a payment to the club, please send an email to the Club Treasurer (email@example.com) to let him know what you are paying for. This little extra step makes Dave's life so much easier!
Final reminder of orders for club clothing. I'm on holiday with club in Font next week until 8th April. After that no more orders OK?
I find it hard to believe it has been a year since I took over as Meets Secretary from the talented Michelle Aukland. So many great things have happened since then and it was nice to write my report for the AGM and to reflect on the awesome times I've enjoyed with my fellow Bowliners and friends (If you'd like to read the report I've included it at the bottom of this email).
Thanks to everyone that came along to the AGM last Wednesday, there are a few things I'd like to highlight from the meeting:
- On behalf of the committee I'd like to say a big thanks to Andy Railton for all his hardwork (and there was quite a lot of hardwork) during his time as Chairman (Andy will be staying on the committee as an ordinary member).
- We now welcome last years vice-chairman, Dick Freer, to the Chair of the club committee.
- I'd like to thank Paul Parker and Michelle Aukland for there assistance over the past year as ordinary members of the club committee.
- And also welcome Suzie Imber to the committee as an ordinary member.
- The remaining committee members are the same as last year, you can find the committee's details on the website.
- The full minutes of the AGM will be available in due course, but several motions were passed which amended the clubs bye-laws. You will find the updated version on the website in the members area.
We've got busy time coming up with a Mountain Biking trip to the Forest of Dean this weekend. Followed by our trip to Fontainebleau over the easter weekend.
You should also all have received emails inviting you to our Spring 'open' bouldering competition, and also our Love the hut weekend. Keep an eye out for invitations to more events in the next few weeks (and if you can't wait check out the full meets list on the website).
Hopefully see lots of you at bouldering on Tuesday or climbing on Thursday.
Have a great week!
Hope you are all having a good weekend!
This time I am emailing you with a request for a little assistance. I am off to Fountainebleau at the end of the month and I would really like to have my own bouldering mat to take with me. Does anyone have (or know of) a bouldering mat that is in need of a new home?